First Aid Kit
The following items should be available if you need them for treating problems at home with your pet/s:
- Gauze swabs
- Cotton bandages (Elastoplast)
- Betadine or Savlon antiseptic cream
- Aspirin – for pain relief. Dose rate is 10-20mg/kg
- Cats (and v. small dogs): quarter of a 300mg tablet
- Dogs – small: ½ tab, medium: 1 tab, large : 2 tabs
- Give ONLY A SINGLE DOSE and consult your vet if pain persists.
- DO NOT use paracetamol (Panadol), ibuprofen, naproxen or any other human pain-reliever.
- Ipecac Syrup, Washing Soda or Hydrogen Peroxide Dose rates to induce vomiting:
- Ipecac Syrup – 2-6mls
- Washing Soda – 1-2 granules
- DO NOT use washing powder
- Hydrogen Peroxide (3% only) – 5-10mls
- Activated charcoal tablets (to help absorb poisons)
- Dose is 1gm/kg and it works faster if crushed (but you'll never get this much into your pet, so just give as much as they'll take, however they'll take it.)
Most of these items are readily available from your local pharmacy.